Wednesday 23 July 2014

Day 2 - Venice Part B

Eventually we found our way to the Rialto Bridge. I recognised it from photos but was flabbergasted at how wide it was! None of the photos or descriptions that I had read had made it clear that this bridge is HUGE!!! There is a walkway on each of the outer edges of the bridge and through the middle is a double sided bank of little shops! Its quite mammoth!








As we walked up it I was entranced by the sides of the bridge which had been worn smooth by centuries of hands brushing along it. The first bridge on that site was built in 1181. This one was completed in 1591 - over 50 years before my country was first sighted by a Dutch explorer in 1642. It was a very stark contrast to the incredibly recent history of New Zealand where our oldest buildings are well short of two hundred years old.

The view from there was spectacular.



Continuing to follow the signs, we eventually made our way to St Marks Square. At that time of the morning there were very few tourists and the street sellers were only just setting up their stalls. We practically had the place to ourselves and as we entered it I was completely blown away with how ornate and lush St Marks was - with its plethora of different coloured marble columns - and how open the space was in comparison to some of the areas we had traversed on our way.


I loved St Marks Square. I loved the different coloured marbles. I loved the brightly coloured mosaics on the facade of St Marks. I loved the statues. I loved the fascinating use of brick on the Doges Palace. I loved the colonnades and the random marble figure in a doorway. I loved the curious windows with a mosaic of round coloured glass. I loved the way the birds perched nonchalantly on the heads of mammoth figures. I loved the way it opened on one side to the sea - staking a claim on the ocean from Venice's seat of power. It proclaimed to me “We are mighty and we are powerful and we rule these seas”. It was utterly garish yet supremely confident.





















Next Post - Day 2 Venice Part C

No comments:

Post a Comment